Category Archives: Social Media

Sew It!

Patchwork makers have a long history of reusing materials to make beautiful, functional items. So – inspired by the Stitch in Time exhibition – the Herbert’s getting creative and we hope you’ll join us!

One of our curators modelling her Sew It tote bag.

From 13 July to 4 August, we tweeted step-by-step instructions for making a tote bag from recycled materials. Even though the daily tweets have finished, you can still make a tote bag by following the instructions below.

We designed the project so that even if you don’t have much previous sewing experience, you’ll be able to have a go. We’re confident that our instructions will guide you in making a sturdy, fashionable and practical bag that you’ll be proud to use.

Follow us on Twitter to receive the latest news from the Herbert. For this project, we used the hashtag #SewIt.

Begin your Sew It tote bag here. If you have any questions, leave a comment below or contact us on Twitter @The_Herbert.

Step 17 – repeat… and share!

Materials needed for this step: pins, sewing machine or needle and thread

a: Repeat steps 15 and 16 for the second handle

b: We’d love to see your handiwork. Join our new group on Flickr and share your photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/theherbert

Step 16 – sew strap to bag

Materials needed for this step: sewing machine or needle and thread

a: Sew the strap to the body of the bag. A rectangle with a cross through it will make a sturdy join.

Technique for sewing the ends of each strap into place.

Read the rest of this entry

Advertisements

Creating a museum app

Screenshot of the Herbert App

Screenshot of the Herbert App

Part of the Herbert 2.0 project involves creating ways for our visitors to access content about the museum and its collections as they make their way around the galleries. We’re working with the Serious Games Institute  to develop a new app for iOS and Android operating systems and deciding what content this should involve and the level of detail to go into is not as straightforward as you might think.

We starting by commissioning Fusion Research + Analytics  to carry out some initial evaluation with gallery users to help define the initial content we would need to develop. Top of the list for our visitors was an interactive map that would help them find their way around our galleries. This was closely followed by highlights tours for fixed periods of time. So that’s where we’ve started.

At the same time Jim from the Media team has been working with our curators to film video introductions to all of the permanent galleries. These will set the scene for the other content we have been creating – mainly text and images. Our aim is to complete a film and several other pieces of content ready for when the app is publically launched at the end of March.

To help us along the way we recently carried out some initial user testing to find out if we’re progressing on the right track in terms of the content we’re producing and the usability of the app itself. The results have been good with a number of changes being suggested that are now in the app itself including a search function and the option to highlight new content so repeat users can see this at a glance.

We’ll be continuing to add new content up until the middle of March at which time the app goes off to Apple for approval and hopefully will be live in the app store from early April.

Paul

Add to DeliciousAdd to DiggAdd to FaceBookAdd to Google BookmarkAdd to RedditAdd to StumbleUponAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Twitter

Herbert 2.0

Hello, my name is Paul and I’m currently managing our Herbert 2.0 project. It’s been up and running for around 15 months now and I’m finally getting round to writing an introduction to it for this blog. It’s not just laziness on my part though; we’re now coming up to the stage when the results of the project will be visible in the museum itself.

First, a little bit of background. The project itself is funded through the MLA‘s Renaissance in the Regions scheme. As well as me, five other people are working on the project – Natalie, Harriet, Erin, Kerrie and Jim. Between us we have three main objectives that we’re trying to achieve.

  • To provide staff training in new and creative media skills
  • To create new content for the web and our galleries – this blog and our other social media sites are just one example of how this is put into practice
  • To develop the use of new technologies to help enhance the user experience in the museum

So far we’ve spent lots of time finding out what other people are up to and looking at what would work best for us. The key throughout has been to focus on what we want to deliver and not worry too much about the technology. It would be very easy to get caught up in the latest bit of hardware and lose sight of what will work for our visitors. We’re also keen to make sure that the most important part of the museum experience remains the collections – whatever we do has to enhance and provide extra layers of information and content but shouldn’t detract from the core museum visit.

So, after initially thinking a system using RFID tags and smart cards would be best we’ve opted to go for a mobile application running on Apple’s iOS & Google’s Android. Our partners at the Serious Games Institute are busy working on developing the application so hopefully we’ll have more to share soon.

Paul

Add to DeliciousAdd to DiggAdd to FaceBookAdd to Google BookmarkAdd to RedditAdd to StumbleUponAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Twitter

%d bloggers like this: